For some workers, taking a laptop and working with a 3G card, from any location is becoming a reality. To make this happen, all you need is the facility to synchronise data with other users and between computers. If you work on your laptop from a hotel room, you’ll want the same notes back on your desktop computer, when you get back to the office.
The the most obvious solution would be to take a USB drive and store your data, then move the drive between computers. However, it’s easy to lose, easy to forget to bring it in to the office and it’s a long-winded approach for making sure your notes are up-to-date on every machine.
Evernote is another idea. It’s a tool which you can use to store your notes, ideas, plans and interesting snippets of your favourite websites and other online material. You can then install another copy of Evernote on a different computer, and the first thing it does is synchronise your notes back on to this machine. Better still, there are version of Evernote for Windows, Mac and your mobile, so you are never far from your notes. You can also store your notes online, so if you are on a host computer where you aren’t able to install new software, simply open your web browser and access your Evernote account.
With Evernote, you can store and synchronise text notes, images, grabs, your photos, media and most other files. You can categorise your information so you can quickly find the files across every machine.
Evernote 6 continues to add new features at pace. There's a new Assisted Search tool, high DPI support, a reorganised user interface promising cleaner navigation and better organization. Tags and notebook styling have been improved, along with general tweaks to the Note Editor. Evernote Business users also gain the ability to separate business and personal content.
What's new in 6.16?
- We took care of some of the top sync and crash issues that were getting in your way.
- We squashed some annoying editing and note title bugs that were buzzing around inside the app.
- Now you’re 100% able to rename hidden tags from the toolbar. Up from 0%, so that’s quite an increase.
- We had some attachment issues related to YouTube clips, PDFs, and shared notes. But we got professional help and worked through them.
- There was a problem with dragging and dropping emails from Microsoft Outlook into a note. Things should be back to normal now though.
- Switching notes would cause you to lose any edits you’d made to a business card. Since you probably made those changes for a reason, we fixed it.
- We fixedd teh spel cheker.
One of the best cross-platform note-sharing applications, where even the free version is flexible enough for most users.